Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Almost midair followup


I need to relate how the story ended with the almost midair in the box. My report leaves the reader with the wrong impression. As you can tell I was not in a great mood after the incident. Understandably, the French pilots and coach were not either. World Competition is a highly emotionally charged environment, and this little “tete-a-tete” did not help that. The Chief Judge explained to the French the issues, as he did to me, indicating that neither pilot was at fault. After I landed my wife asked just to walk quietly with her. She cried. It was a touching moment for me. It made me see things a little bit different, from the eyes of someone else, not directly wrapped up in the 'heat of battle'.

A few days later I talked to the French pilot (Simon F). He was nice and made clear he had no ill feelings. Later, while the high scoring group had a no-flying day (the French and I were in that) I showed up in the French tent and offered him a USAAAT pin. Everybody was very receptive and I think appreciated the gesture, so I came back with more for everybody. We exchanged logos, comments and jokes and had a nice talk. Subsequently I had more talks with the French coach. He is a very nice person, obviously goes all out for his team and enjoys the sport very much. He has an uncanny insight into all things related to aerobatic competition.

I had bought an inflatable couch to use in our tent. We asked participants to sign it, and hopefully it will be on display in one of our future regional contests in the SouthWest. You will see there the French team humor as they signed and noted “Extra Hunters” and “Carbon Fiber Killer”. Simon asked whether I understood what he meant; oh yes, and painfully so! A wooden CAP flown by pilots like Simon and the other French pilots can do a lot of damage to carbon airplanes standings!
I gained great respect and admiration for the French Team. They flew superbly as the results testify. They behaved professionally, with dignity and showed sportsmanship. They are great exponents of the good qualities of this sport. I hope I have the opportunity to meet them again, although hopefully at not so fast a closing speed!

Reinaldo

2 comments:

  1. I think you did not understand, Extra hunter means dogfight with extra ( in the same box)... won by French plane ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great follow up, very impressed with how you guys represented the U.S.

    ReplyDelete